Saturday, March 14, 2009

Course Unit Topic for my Instructional Design Project

My new course is an Instructional Design course. I wasn't sure if I would like it, but after week 1 it looks promising. It is way more structured than my last course which was an introductory course to types of technology.
I have a major assignment in this course where I have to design a unit of learning. I love that there is no actual content. We just come up with the topic and design the ways to achieve the outcome. Our unit has to be very small so we can have between 4 to 6 learning outcomes and it should be applicable to our jobs or personal life.
I have chosen Critical Thinking and the Internet. Here are my ramblings which I hope to turn into an introduction this week.
This unit deals with critical thinking and the internet. By the end of the unit I want the learner to be able to, recognize what critical thinking is, why it is important when viewing the internet, learn some ways to evaluate webpages, and be able to identify possible biases in example webpages.
The target learners are at a vocational college level and they may not have completed high school. They must have at least a grade 12 english level though. Some of the students have not been in school for quite a few years. The students all live in a rural setting and most have not had a great deal of exposure to computers and the online world.
The institution is a small college with campuses spread out across a distance. All campuses service rural areas. The instructor will not be present for face to face contact with most students. The students can obtain face to face assistance at their campus but due to other students the staff are in high demand.
That is all I have right now. I hope it is a topic that works out because it would be great to turn it into a real min-course next year.
As always please share your thoughts and suggestions.

No comments:

Post a Comment